Chapora 10 K.M from Mapusa this fort is most easily reached
from Vagator side of the hill. The red-laterite bastion,
crowning the rock bluff, was built by the Portuguese in 1617
on the site of an earlier Muslim structure, hence the
village's name - from Shahpura, " town of Shah" Intended as
a border watch post, it fee to various Hindu raiders during
the seventeenth century, before finally being deserted by
the Portuguese in 1892, after the territory's frontiers had
been forced further north and the Novas Conquistas region.
This fortress lies in ruins, although one can se the heads
of two tunnels that formerly provided supply routes for
besieged defenders, as will as a scattering of Muslim tomb
stones on the soothe slopes of the ill, believed to be
relics of percolonial days. The main incentive to here are
the superb views from the bastion's weed-infested ramparts,
which took north to Morgim and Mandarem beaches, and south
laterite peninsula extends in the sea west of Reis Magos,
bringing the seven kilometer long Clangute beach to an
abrupt halt. Fort Aguada crowns the rocky flattened top of
the headland and is the largest and best preserved
Portuguese bastion in Goa.
fort was built in 1612 to guard the northern shores of the
Mandovi estuary from attacks by the Dutch and Maratha
raiders. The name was derived from the presence of many
fresh water springs which were a first source of drinking
water for ships arriving in Goa after a along voyage.
There are extensive ruins of the fort which can be reached
by road. The fort has a four storey Portuguese lighthouse
erected in 1864 and is the oldest of its kind in Asia. In
the 70's the Sinquerim beach was singled out by the Taj
group of hotels for upmarket tourism.
This was a fort of the local raja, and taken over by the
Portuguese in 1746. It was used as a base for freedom
fighters during the liberation of Goa in 1961. Within the
fort there is a chapel which is locked most of the time.
This fort is converted into a Heritage hotel.
very northern part of Goa Tiracol is wild, beautiful,
unspoiled and totally uncommercialised and is one of the
last idyllically peaceful spots in Goa.
North of Arambol, the cost read climbs to the top of a rock,
undulating plateau, then winds down through a swathe of
thick woodland to join the River Arondem, which is then
follows for 4 K.M through a landscape of vivid paddy fields
and coconut plantations dotted with scruffy red-brick
fort, which was captured by the Portuguese in 1776 with
St.Anthony's church in the middle, is set spectacularly on
the hilltop. From the battlements one can look across to
Querim Beach. To cross the Tiracol River takes twenty
minutes on an ancient Goan ferry operates every 30 mints.,
de Rama Fort
Cabo de Rama, the long boney of land that juts into the sea
at the south end of Colva Bay, takes its name from the hero
of the Hindu epic, the Ramayana. Cabo DA Rama , however, is
more grandiose than most, commanding spectacular views north
over the length of Colva beach and down the sand-splashed
coast of Canacona.
easily defensible promontory was crowned by a fort centuries
before the Portuguese cruised in and wrested it from the
local Hindu rulers in 1763. They erected their own citadel
soon after, but this now lies in ruins, lending to the
laterite headland a forlorn world's end feel. The road to
Cabo DA Rams, leading past Canaguinim's huge wind turbine,
ends abruptly in front of the fort's gatehouse. Here you can
see a crumbling turret still houses a couple of rusty old
Portuguese cannons and the chapel, swathed in colorful
Rachol, 7 K.M northeast of Margao, rises proudly from the
crest of laterite hillock, surrounded by the dried-up moat
of an old Muslim fort and rice fields that extend east to
the banks of the nearby Zuari River. During the early days
of the Portuguese conquests, this was a border bastion of
the Christian faith, perennially under threat from Muslim,
and Hindu marauders. Today, its painstakingly restored
sixteenth-century church and cloistered theological collage,
one wing of which has recently been converted into a museum,
lie in the midst of the Catholic heartland. The seminary
itself harbours in Old Goa, main road en route to Lutolim,
4K.M further north.
During the sixteenth century before the evangelisation of
Goa, Rachol hill was encircled by an imposing fort, built by
the Muslim Bahmani Dynasty that founded the city of Ela (Old
Goa) The Hindu Vijayanagars took it from the Sulatan of
Bijapur in the fifteenth century and was ceded to the
Portuguese in 1520 in exchange for military help against the
Muslims. Today the stone archways spans the road to the
seminary is the only fragments left standing.
coastal road veers inland to a small market crossroads.
Hindu tree shrine, 20 mts., before this marks the turning to
Reis Magos, 3 K.M., west of Betim Bazaar.
Reis Magos Church was built in 1555. Historians believe the
original church was constructed on the ruins of an old Hindu
temple and the bas-relief lion figures flanking the steps at
the ends of the balustrades lend credence to the this theory,
being a typical feature of Vijayanagar temple architecture
in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. Two viceroys of
Portuguese are buried inside the church. The centerpiece of
the church's elaborately carved and painted reredos, behind
the high alter is a multicolored wood relief showing the
Three Wise Men - or Reis Magos, after whom the village is
named . Each year this scene is reenacted in the Festa dos
Reis Magos held in the first week of January during Epiphany.
Crowning the sheer-sided headland immediately above the
church, Reis Magos fort was erected in 1551 to protect the
narrowest point at the mouth of Mandovi estuary. These days
the bastion surrounded by sturdy laterite wall studded with
typically Portuguese turrets is used as a prison and not
open to the public but you can clamb up the steep slope to
the ramparts for the view over the river.